An Iran-backed armed group announced on Monday that it would continue its five-day pause on attacking the US embassy in Baghdad.
Since the start of the war in the Middle East, pro-Iran armed groups have claimed responsibility for near-daily attacks on US interests in Iraq and across the region, while strikes have also targeted these groups.
The latter area is a bastion of Lebanon’s Hezbollah, which is also Iran-backed and is at war with Israel.
“The deadline given to the embassy of American evil will be extended by an additional five days,” Kata’ib Hezbollah said in a statement on Monday.
It added that it would respond to “any violations by the enemy accordingly” and inform a mediator of its “response mechanism.”
Iraq has been unwillingly drawn into the regional conflict triggered by US-Israeli strikes on Iran on February 28.
Kata’ib Hezbollah’s announcement comes after a series of overnight strikes targeting a US diplomatic and logistics center at the Baghdad International Airport.
Late Sunday, three strikes also hit south of Baghdad, with a local emergency crisis cell saying they targeted a stronghold of former paramilitary coalition Hashed al-Shaabi, also known as the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF).
A Kata’ib Hezbollah official said on condition of anonymity that his group had been targeted.


